Wednesday, November 15

The Hague Trip

I lost my bag again. This time in The Hague, just on the second day, when I wanted to start shopping in that cheap place (of course, compare to Sweden). I lost my passport (damned!), camera, and purse (with ID cards and credit cards in there). Luckily I still had my mobile with me so I could quickly block my cards.

Sisi and her friend (oops, I forgot her name) took me to the nearest police station to report. I thought the police officer would be excellent, but actually the police woman who received me was sooo slow and had no sense of emergency at all! She did not ask my details, she only asked when, where and what was the color of my bag and purse. She did not ask my nationality, my address and everything till I told her that I needed a report letter from her coz I dont live in The Hague and had to fly to Sweden in few days. She then gave me a piece of paper and asked me to write my details on it. Oh my God. What a 'smart' officer cause it took her for 1 hour to finish the report, asking to her peers about this and that, laughing and going back and forth to check things I dont even know what those were. At the same time I already blocked my cards to different banks in Indonesia. I was so dissapointed with The Netherland's public service. The way they handled cases was not impressive and I did not feel secure ever since. I even did not expect that they will investigate my report at all.

Actually I was so stupid for not realizing that not all country in Europe are as safe as Nordic countries (as far as I know Sweden and Norway). I think I over-estimated Europe cities too much that I forgot to keep stuffs carefully, cause in Lund, when you lost things, you will have it back in the next day (someone who found it will return it to you right away). I remember this 'lagom' principle that Swedish people have which more or less means: everything is for everyone's good and for the sake of fairness. So it's almost 100% sure that you will not lose your things if you forget things in a store, or even if you leave your purse next to you when you tried on a jacket by a mirror at H&M shop... Well, anyway...

So I could not enjoy my trip in Netherland though I tried.. I could not eat as much Indonesian food as possible (thanks to Herni who brought me to an Indo resto), could not shop bumbu2 masak, and could not go anywhere... But still, as wisemen say, every cloud has a silver lining. My friends borrowed me money and they paid for my meals (hehehe..). My relatives gave me (again) cash, so I could still meet up Ono and went to Egmond aan Zee with him. I still could make the most of my trip. Yeah, it was the most I could do. Really.

Now I know what "make the most of 'something' " is. I did treat all I had more wisely in the Netherland. I treated all cash I had pretty wisely, I guess -- did not spend them for unnecessary stuffs. I also treated time and friendship better since I had more time at home to chat. I did enjoy the company with my old friends and family, just to sit, walk and talk together. I missed that since I got to Lund and there I gained the warmth from familiar faces again. I really miss you guys... I also now appreciate life in Sweden better -- before I got so lonely and homesick. After that stupid loss in Netherland, I can feel Sweden as a place to go home to, as it is safer and the people are much nicer.

Anyway, though disappointed and tired, I had a nice time with familiar faces in The Hague. Overall it gave a sweet meaning to an unnecessary loss. Da!