Monday, May 7

My First (burnt) Muffin


Been a long time that I wanted to bake muffins. I love muffins since I was in Bandung. I went to LIA for English course and had muffin at Dunkin Donuts after class. Was sooo good. Here I usually have muffin for breakfast (yeah grab and go from the gym!) or just with a cup of coffee. Maybe the best muffin I had was the one I shared with Kristina at Stadsbiblioteket few weeks ago. It was blueberry muffin with butter inside. We shared that single muffin and it tasted even better than the usual muffin (I was too broke to buy one..)

I like to have muffin with lots of butter. I love butter too. So much. So I decided to bake muffin myself and have butter as much as I want. I searched the menu in the internet, this time it's Banana and Chocolate Chips Muffin. I consulted Tomomi for detailed instruction and moral support. Haha..

There I was, everything was set, all ingredients were mixed and put in the oven for 22-25 minutes.

I was not patient enough so at the 20th minute I went to take the muffins out. Oh My God, they were BURNT! Sh*t! what did I do?? I thought I followed all the instruction, but why?? I stared at my muffins and felt so sad. I took one and tried it. Was burnt at the top but the inside was perfect. It was good though. But not perfect. I liked the combination between banana and chocolate chip but still.. it was b..u..r..n..t. (My corridor mate tried it too and he said that it was good. I know he just tried to be nice..).

But anyway, later on the day I decided to be proud of myself. For me, making muffins. My first baking trial. Never been interested to bake before but now I think it is quite okay. Tomomi said with baking, you'll always fail but it's okay. Alright, so I'm gonna text my mom that I might bake with her when I get back. She must be happy for this.

***

Anyway, I am still wondering how come the chocolate muffin at Sprak och Literature (SOL) biblioteket was so soft and yummy ?!?!

***
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin

INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt --> can have milk or egg instead
1 teaspoon vanilla extract --> not necessary
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

(http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Chip-Banana-Muffins-2/Detail.aspx)